“When I got to college, as I was walking across campus one day, I ripped off a little flyer for this sketch-comedy group. It ended up being one of the greatest things I’ve done. ”
-John Krasinski, actor.
Why Should Students get involved in college activities?
College can be overwhelming with multiple responsibilities and not enough time to balance academics, life and enough sleep. Being successful in college consist in being able to balance those multiple commitments and responsibilities while figuring out a career path. Getting good grades and finding your career passion is important, however is an important for students to grow their resume while in college. Employers now more than ever are looking beyond a college degree. Thankfully many colleges have ways for students to conveniently grow their resumes by getting involved in college life activities or student life activities.
While many students think that getting involved in college activities, such as clubs and organizations or volunteer service programs might impact negatively their grades, is usually the opposite. Many college researchers have found that when students actively participate in curricular or co-curricular activities and become engaged in college, the overall GPA of the student is impacted positively. When becoming involved more in your campus you are more likely to make new friends, become acquainted with faculty and staff, exposed to new opportunities, career and even job opportunities. You are also more likely to be more aware of campus services and become quickly oriented to college. Students who participate in college activities are also more likely to graduate from college in time.
There are lots of reasons why students should think of spending a few hours a week getting involved and engaged in their college campus. Bentley University, for example, has 12 reasons why you should join a student organization.
- You”ll learn more about yourself
- You’ll develop soft skills
- You’ll learn how to work with a team
- You’ll get networking opportunities
- You’ll gain practical experience in a safe environment
- You’ll be able to use the skills you’ve learned in class
- You’ll learn how to engage with diverse groups of people
- You will gain leadership skills
- You’ll get a break from your studies
- You’ll expand your resume
- You’ll be able to give back to the community
- YOU’LL HAVE FUN!
Every college or university has different ways for students to get involved in their campus as well as their surrounding community. There are multiple ways a student can get involved in campus. Many universities have a Student Life or College Life department or multiple student unions where student government, service learning departments, college clubs, multicultural centers, veteran’s centers and even fraternities and sororities office are located. For example, Oregon State University has an office of Student Life and an office for Student Leadership and Involvement. Chemeketa for example, has a department of Student Retention and College Life in the Salem campus. At Yamhill and Woodburn campus the main offices are the centers for college life and clubs.
Example: Getting involved at Oregon state
Getting involved at Chemeketa
There are many ways to get involved at Chemeketa from student employment opportunities, to student government, campus organizations, service learning opportunities to multicultural events that you can take part on. Here are some programs, you may want to check out:
- Become a student leader by getting a job in campus.
- Take part on any events or credit classes by the Multicultural Center.
- Join a club or organization from more than 20+ to choose from.
- Participate in a service learning class or participate in volunteer opportunities.
- Join or attend a meeting or event hosted by the Associated Students of Chemeketa (student government).
Go to the Get Involved webpage for the Student Retention and College Life department and answer the following questions:
- What is the Student Leadership Program?
- How many work teams are under the Leadership Program?
- What are the requirements to work in the Associated Students of Chemeketa?
- What are your job responsibilities as a Tutor?
- How many clubs and organizations does Chemeketa have?
- What is Phi-Theta Kappa? Can you join?
- What are the Intercultural Movie Nights?
- What are some upcoming community service dates?
- Name 3 things the Associated Students of Chemeketa do.
- What are the hours of operation for the department of Student Retention and College Life?
Given the nature of the numerous college life events by many clubs, organizations, centers and programs. As a student is beneficial that you check the College Life calendar or add it to your google calendar. You can also be added to the monthly e-newsletter to keep you updated on a monthly basis of programs and events that you may want to participate it.
Also another way is to sign up and follow the many social media platforms for Chemeketa. You can follow Chemeketa on Facebook & Instagram. You can also follow the Student Retention and College Life department for student events and posts from the Associated Students (Student Government) from Chemeketa.
12 Reasons Why You Should Join a Student Organization. Bentley University, 3 June 2019, www.bentley.edu/prepared/12-reasons-why-you-should-join-student-organization.
Licenses and Attributions
Original chapter work is attributed to Grecia Garcia and edited by Ashley Duran.