Skip to content
Analyze What You Read
- When do you think this story takes place?
- Where do you think this story takes place?
- What do the chains around Marley and the other spirits represent?
- Do you think Scrooge is a successful businessman? Why or why not?
- What does each person (Marley, Fred, the Clerk, and the Two Men) want from Scrooge?
- Scrooge tells his clerk that Christmas is “A poor excuse for picking a man’s pocket every twenty-fifth of December.” What do you think pick a man’s pocket means?
- Based on the first chapter, what is the pattern of organization of this text? What do you think will happen?
- What is the tone of this first chapter? What words from the text help you to understand that?