After you have completed this unit you should be able to:
- Define predominantly white institutions (PWIs)
- Describe different types of microaggressions and ways of countering them
- Identify communication strategies for effective communication
- Differentiate between surface diversity and deep diversity, and explain what relationships exist between the two
- Explore the positive effects of diversity, equity, and inclusion in an educational setting
- Define accessibility, and identify implications of accessibility on campus and in communities
- Describe the variety of organized groups available on campus for both resident and nonresident students
- Identify resources for learning more about campus organizations
- Describe the benefits of participating in student life
- Define cultural humility
- Articulate the role of universities in shaping globally competent learners
Licenses and Attributions
CC licensed content, Original:
College Success. Authored by: Linda Bruce. Located at: https://courses.lumenlearning.com/suny-collegesuccess-lumen1/chapter/socializing/ and https://courses.lumenlearning.com/suny-collegesuccess-lumen1/chapter/diversity-and-accessibility/ License: CC BY: Attribution.
Burke, Monica G.; Keaster, Ric; Norman, Hideko; and Pereira, Nielson, “Global Pathways: Cultural Competence Curriculum Module” (2014). Counseling & Student Affairs Faculty Publications. Paper 71. https://digitalcommons.wku.edu/csa_fac_pub/71 License: CC BY: Attribution.