Optional Extra Credit Opportunities and/or Grading Elements for Unit 3
Here are some suggestions for additional course components and grading elements:
- The Glossary of Terms in the back is good information for weekly quizzes, mid-term tests, and/or final exams.
- To supplement the “Close Reading” lesson, students can clip editorial cartoons from local newspapers and analyze them according the elements listed in exercise 4.3.
- For that same lesson, students can explore other artwork on campus and come up with titles and/or captions.
- The instructor may wish to take students on a “close reading” journey by using a poem she or he is familiar with. Here are three poems I have used, but there are limitless numbers of good poems for this exercise:
- For further help with reading/comprehending and/or studying for math and science, students can take notes on Study Tips 23, 24, and 25 listed on Lane’s Study Tips site, as well as the articles How to Study Science and How to Study Math. NOTE: all of Hodges’ Study Tips Articles are linked in the Outside the Text Resources… section.