As you read this chapter, consider the following questions:
- What formal processes exist in the United States for representation of all families?
- What contributes to some families being represented less frequently in social processes such as voting, being elected, and participating in the Census?
- How would more parity amongst our elected representatives make a difference?
- What are the barriers to participation? What institutional changes could be made to increase participation? What new processes and institutions could you imagine that might lead to more equity in representation?
- Which demographic groups are best represented? Least represented?
- How is representation linked with equity?
- How has the feminist movement evolved and changed over time?
- How do social movements interact with laws, policy, and elected officials?
- How are representation and belonging linked?