As you read this chapter, consider the following questions:
- What is a social construction? Can you think of another example that is not in the text?
- How does the social construction of difference contrast with a social construction?
- If you could add a third image in Figure 1.3, what television family is the most representative today?
- How is equity different from equality and fairness?
- What are the big demographic family trends in the United States?
- What is a social identity? Can you describe your own social identity via your roles, characteristics and groups?
- How does intersectionality relate to equity?
- How does the government affect the structure of kinship and family?