As you read this chapter, consider the following questions:
- What can you expect to learn from studying families?
- How will studying families impact your family and your work life in the future?
- What are the main methods for researching families?
- What are the nuances of objectivity coupled with humanity?
- How will cultural humility help you understand other people?
- What are the major theoretical perspectives? Which ones make the most sense to you?
- What is a social problem? What social problems have you experienced or observed?
- How will having a sociological imagination and understanding equity equip you to learn about families in the United States?