Make and Give a Party
You don’t use make a party.
Instead, if you are the host, you say:
- give a party
- throw a party
- have a party
However, you can make something for a party. For example:
- make decorations
- make a cake
- make a playlist (a collection of songs)
INSTRUCTIONS: Choose give, throw, have, or make to complete the sentences below. Remember to use appropriate capitalization if the word begins a sentence.
- My brother will __________________ the playlist of songs for the party.
- May I __________________ the food for the party? I am a good cook.
- It’s our anniversary! Let’s __________________ a party!
- They __________________ a big party every spring in their backyard.
- How many parties do you __________________ a year?
- Come in! The party is just beginning. Please __________________ yourself at home.
- He wants to __________________ a pie for the party. He thinks one pie will be enough.
- The parties that I __________________ are always fun. Everyone says so.
- She wants to __________________ herself a birthday party.
- The company wants to __________________ a party to celebrate a good year of business.
Married With and To
You don’t say married with your husband, wife, or spouse.
Instead, you say married to a husband, wife, or spouse.
- Incorrect: Mabel is getting married
withThuan. (This means Thuan will also be at the wedding, but Mabel is marrying someone else, but it is not common to say it this way.)
- Correct: Kim is getting married to Thuan. (Kim and Thuan will be a couple).
- Correct: He is getting married to his classmate. (He and his classmate will be a couple.)
You can use with this way:
- Terry is going to Tualatin with her classmate. (They are traveling together.)
INSTRUCTIONS: Complete each sentence below using with or to. Remember to use appropriate capitalization if the word begins a sentence.
- I want to get married __________________ with all my friends and family — and pets!
- Why does she want to get married __________________ him?
- Imani is getting married __________________ Baako next week.
- Hollywood celebrities often get married __________________ lots of cameras around.
- She got married __________________ her wife last year.
- Do you want to be married __________________ me forever?
- He wants to get married __________________ to his bride in the fall when the leaves are colorful.
- Some couples get married __________________ no ceremony or guests.
- My parents were married __________________ other people before they met at a soccer game.
- Nobody wants to get married __________________ the wrong person!