This section focuses on prisons and jails in the United States. We start with a brief historical account of prisons and jails in America. We then turn to our current situation of prisons and jails, to include types, function, and volume. After reading this section, students should be able to:
- Understand the emergence of prisons and jails in the United States
- Recognize the different types of jails
- Recognize the different types of prisons
- Explain the operational process of most jails in the United States today. Where does this come from historically?
- How does the difference in the type of jail influence how the jail is managed?
- Explain the similarities and differences in the two early types of prisons in the United States.
- Explain the current operational process of most State prisons in the United States today. Where does this come from historically?