9: Community Corrections
Up to this point, we have spent much time on understanding crime, how it is policed, and how it is prosecuted in the courts. The next section will cover the last third of the justice system, corrections. This section will focus on punishments that happen in the community. Be the end of this section, students should be able to:
- Understand what is meant by Community Corrections
- Recognize the different types of Community Corrections
- Understand the pros/cons of the different main types of Community Corrections
- Why do some people convicted of a crime get jail/prison, while others do not?
- What factors are involved with the decision to use alternative sanctions, versus incarceration?
- What are some of the pros/cons of each of these decision points?
- Does the level of punishment change, based on the person? How?
- Are there other consequences involved after the punishment has been given? If so, what are they?