Right Triangle Trigonometry
- the adjacent side is e, the opposite side is f, and the hypotenuse is d.
- the adjacent side is x, the opposite side is y, and the hypotenuse is r.
- the wire is approximately long
- , which is roughly
- No; , so the puck will hit the plywood over 1.5 feet away from the center of the hole.
- Yes; , which is less than .
- angle of elevation
- You were told to round off the measure of to the nearest degree, which introduced some round-off error when you subsequently used sine or cosine to determine based on that angle. We would need to round to instead of if we want the three results to agree to the nearest tenth. By rounding to the nearest degree, we decreased the precision of the first two answers to the nearest whole number ().