3.1 VOCABULARY: Academic Word List 02
Use your dictionary to look up each word in the list below. Note its part of speech. Copy the dictionary definition in “quotation marks” followed by the name of the dictionary in parentheses. Then write an original sentence using the vocabulary word (do not copy the example sentence from the dictionary; use your own words).
Use these games to practice this week’s vocabulary words. Click “Choose a Study Mode” to change games. Note: This is not graded; you may play these games as many times as you wish.
Use the vocabulary words above to complete the sentences below.
- Clear grammar, interesting vocabulary, and useful content are three __________________ for a strong essay.
- Global warming is a serious __________________ for everyone because it is causing climate change.
- This article gives only a few points of information. It is not very __________________.
- This is a __________________ assignment. It requires many different sources of information, and it has many different steps.
- You are wet. You have an umbrella. Therefore, I can easily __________________ that it is raining outside.
- Your writing should always have lots of __________________ details, such as examples, reasons, quotes, facts, figures, statistics, etc.
- Why is this classroom so messy? Did the __________________ class have a party?
- You grew up in the city. I grew up in the country. I think you have a different __________________ than I do on this topic.
- Introduction, body, conclusion — that’s the __________________ of paragraphs in any basic essay.
- I’m not sure I understand. Would you please __________________ your request?