In this unit, you will lay the foundation of your work this term by thinking about writing in general: the characteristics of strong writing; the writing process and the role of metacognition; the common errors ESOL students make, how to spot them and how to fix them; and how to choose a clear topic for your research paper.
By the end of this unit, you should be able to …
- Define 10 terms from the academic word list and use them accurately in writing.
- Explain metacognition and its relevance to writing in college.
- Describe the four most common errors in ESOL writing and how to fix them.
- Correct errors in your own writing.
- Describe the P.O.W.E.R. writing process.
- Identify generally accepted characteristics of strong academic research writing.
- Choose a research topic with the help of the instructor.
To accomplish the learning objectives above, you will …
- Study vocabulary by looking up words in a dictionary, practicing the words with Quizlet activities, and then taking a quiz about those words.
- Read articles, watch videos, complete practice exercises, and participate in discussions about grammar, composition, and the writing process.
- Analyze feedback on your writing to identify common errors and make corrections.
- Discuss research topic ideas.
- Discuss what makes a good academic research essay.