Use your dictionary to look up each word in the list below. Note its part of speech. Copy the dictionary definition in “quotation marks” followed by the name of the dictionary in parentheses. Then write an original sentence using the vocabulary word (do not copy the example sentence from the dictionary; use your own words).
Use these games to practice this week’s vocabulary words. Click “Choose a Study Mode” to change games. Note: This is not graded; you may play these games as many times as you wish.
Use the vocabulary words above to complete the sentences below.
- In writing, __________________ means everything has a sense of the whole; in other words, all the information is part of one topic.
- Missing class and arriving late may __________________ your grade in this course.
- It’s easier to find a job if you have a wide __________________ of professional contacts.
- Portland Community College is an __________________ of higher education, but it is also a center of the community.
- He’s always coming up with new ideas; he has a great sense of __________________.
- You will learn more research strategies in a __________________ writing class that begins next term.
- Portland Community College offers a __________________ of services to support students, from the Panther Food Pantry to the Queer Resource Center.
- Your answer does not make sense. It is not the __________________ choice.
- Transition words __________________ a smooth, connected flow for readers.
- The teacher creates a warm and inviting __________________ for students.