In this unit, we focus on the small details: formatting, grammar, capitalization, and spelling. This will make our writing more accurate and easier to read.
By the end of this unit, you should be able to …
- Define 10 terms from the academic word list and use them accurately in writing.
- Identify common writing errors and explain how to fix them.
- Demonstrate accurate use of prepositional phrases and use them in writing appropriately.
- Demonstrate awareness of expectations for the self-reflection essay (also known as the “signature assignment”), and write it according to standard conventions and expectations.
- Demonstrate strategies for effective proofreading.
To accomplish the learning objectives above, you will …
- Study vocabulary by looking up words in a dictionary, practicing the words with Quizlet activities, and then taking a quiz about those words.
- Read articles, watch videos, complete practice exercises, and participate in discussions about grammar, composition, and the writing process.
- Analyze the assignment instructions and then write a self-reflection essay.