In this unit, we learn how to figure out what the instructions in a writing assignment really mean, and how we can use that information in our own writing in college. We’ll highlight the purposes of this kind of writing, and we’ll also review verb tenses and basic essay structure. And we’ll write the first draft of our first essay.
By the end of this unit, you should be able to …
- Define 10 terms from the academic word list and use them accurately in writing.
- Define critical thinking and describe its role in writing in U.S. colleges.
- Demonstrate accurate use of verbs in a variety of forms and use them in writing appropriately.
- Describe basic essay structure and apply it to a writing assignment.
- Explain the purposes of academic research writing.
- Demonstrate awareness of expectations for Essay 01 and prepare it according to standard conventions and expectations.
To accomplish the learning objectives above, you will …
- Study vocabulary by looking up words in a dictionary, practicing the words with Quizlet activities, and then taking a quiz about those words.
- Read articles, watch videos, complete practice exercises, and participate in discussions about grammar, composition, and the writing process.
- Discuss the purposes of academic research writing.
- Analyze the assignment instructions and model essays, and then write the first draft of Essay 01.