In this unit, we start to look more closely at our outside sources of information. How do we find them? What do we look for? How do we start to incorporate them into our writing? Of course, there’s also new academic vocabulary and grammar, and we begin to work on a new essay style: problem and solution.
By the end of this unit, you should be able to …
- Define 10 terms from the academic word list and use them accurately in writing.
- Identify, describe, and evaluate potential outside sources of information.
- Explain the CRAAP test and apply it to outside sources of information to determine credibility.
- Demonstrate accurate use of passive voice and use it in writing appropriately.
- Demonstrate awareness of expectations for Essay 02 and prepare it according to standard conventions and expectations.
- Explain the role of outside sources of information in academic writing.
To accomplish the learning objectives above, you will …
- Study vocabulary by looking up words in a dictionary, practicing the words with Quizlet activities, and then taking a quiz about those words.
- Read articles, watch videos, complete practice exercises, and participate in discussions about grammar, composition, and the writing process.
- Analyze the assignment instructions and then write the first draft of Essay 02.
- Discuss the role of outside sources of information in academic writing.